.

Freitag, 26. November 2021

Ivanhoe by Walter Scott, illustrated by Charles Edmund Brock

 Ivanhoe is a historical romance novel by Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832).

This version of Ivanhoe was published in 1910 by D. C. Heath and Co. in Boston. Illustrations were done by Charles Edmund Brock (1870-1938), who usually signed his work as C. E. Brock. He was a pretty successful artist and illustrated books written by Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Charles Lamb, Edith Nesbit, Jonathan Swift, William Thackeray, but is probably most known by his work on books by Jane Austen. 


“Do you dispute me, slave!”
 
“I know little of the knight of Ivanhoe!” answered the palmer.

Struck with the sharp end of his spear the shield of Brian de Bois-Guilbert.

“Well and yeomanly done!” shouted the robbers.

He reached the harp and entertained his guest.

He was instantly made prisoner and pulled from his horse.
 
Holding him between them, waiting for the hard-hearted Baron’s further signal.

“I know you not, sir,” said the lady.

 
Availing herself of the protection of a large ancient shield.
 

He discharged a fearful blow upon the head of Athelstane.
 
“Make room, my merry men!”
 
“Back, dog!” said the Grand Master.

“Yes, Brian de Bois-Guilbert, to thyself I appeal.”
 
At this moment Wamba winded the bugle.

 

“My father! My father” said Ivanhoe. “Grant me thy forgiveness!”
 
“My father! My father” said Ivanhoe. “Grant me thy forgiveness!”
 

 


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen