.

Montag, 25. Mai 2020

MR. MUNCHAUSEN illustrated by PETER NEWELL

Peter Sheaf Hersey Newell (March 5, 1862 – January 15, 1924) was an American artist and writer. He created picture books and illustrated new editions of many children's books. Newell often illustrated the works of other authors, such as Mark Twain, Stephen Crane, John Kendrick Bangs, and Lewis Carroll. He also created a comic strip serial, The Naps of Polly Sleepyhead, which debuted in the New York Herald in 1905. WIKIPEDIA


Peter Newell





Frontispiece
Portrait of Mr. Munchausen



 There was the whale, drawn by magnetic influence to the side of The Lyre

As their bullets got to their highest point and began to drop back, I reached out and caught them.

I got nearer and nearer my haven of safety, the bellowing beasts snorting with rage as they followed.
 Jang buzzed over and sat on his back, putting his sting where it would do the most good.

Out of what appeared to be a clear sky came the mos extraordinary rain storm you ever saw.

 "I'm your slave", he replied to my greeting, kneeling before me, " I yield all to you."

 I reached the giraffe, raised myself to his back, crawled along his neck and dropped fainting into the tree.

 They were celebrating Decoration Day, strewing flowers on the graves of  departed missionaries.

 I laughed in the poor disappointed thing's face, and with a howl of despair he rushed back to the sea.

This brought my speed  down ten minutes to the mile which made it safe for me to run into a haystack.

 At the first whoop Mr. Bear jumped ten feet and fell over backwards on the floor.

 He used to wind his tail about a fan and he'd wave it to sand fro by the hour.

 Most singular of all was the fact that, consciously or unconsciously, the insect has butted out a verse.

Again I swung my red-flagged brassey in front of the angry creature's face, and what I had hoped for followed.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen